The aim of this project is to monitor epiphytic lichen communities in a way that enables us to separate between natural variation and the effects of acidification and long range transported air pollutants.
This is not a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1990 -
- Data collection
- 1990 - 1998
- Data processing
- 1990 - 2000
- Data reporting
- 1991 - 2000
- Regions studied
- Climate change effects
- Stations or areas where observations are made
Dividal, UTM 34W DB4922-5122; 5 study sites
Børgefjell, UTM 34W VN44-4515; 6 study sites
Quantitative data on lichen coverage on 8 birch trees per site.
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- The data are reported in Allforsk reports.
Data in Excel are stored at NINA.
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- Hilmo, O. 1991. Terrestrisk naturovervåking. Lavkartlegging i Børgefjell 1990. DN-notat 1991-4: 1-38.
Wang, R. & Bruteig, I.E. 1994. Terrestrisk naturovervåking. Lavkartlegging i Gutulia og Dividal 1993. Allforsk Rapport 1: 1-51.
Bruteig, I.E. 1996. Gjenkartlegging av epifyttisk lav i Solhomfjell og Børgefjell 1995. Allforsk Rapport 7: 1-42.
Bruteig, I.E. 2000. Gjenkartlegging av epifyttisk lav i Gutulia og Dividal 1998. Allforsk
Rapport (in prep).
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Birch bark and Hypogymnia physodes are sampled using disposable plastic gloves and scalpels. Samples are collected in paper bags and air dried and stored in closed bags until analyses. pH in bark samples are measured in ground bark material. Analyses of sulphur and nitrogen concentration in Hypogymnia physodes are carried out by Mikro-Kemi AB, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
Allforsk carried out the project from 1990 to 1999, NINA from 2000.
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
"Monitoring Programme for Terrestrial Ecosystems" (TOV)