The possibility of restoring the salmon stocks in the Tuloma system is assessed by collecting background information on the river system: present fish fauna, habitat quality, migratory routes etc. Planning the restoration including technical and management aspects is under way.
This is not a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1988 -
- Data collection
- 1988 -
- Data processing
- 1988 -
- Data reporting
- 1988 -
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- The data is at the FGFRI in an organized electronic data format (e.g. ASCII). Data is mostly
available on request.
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- McComas, R.L., Niemelä, E. ja Vuorinen, P. 1990: Acidification timing in running waters of northernmost Finland and possible effects on juvenile salmonids. In: Kinnunen, K. & Varmola, M. (ed.): Effects of air pollutants and acidification in combination with climatic factors on forest, soils and waters in northern Fennoskandia. - NORD 20: 79-89.
Erkinaro, J., Niemelä, E., Erkinaro, H. & Rask, M. 1992: Monitoring of the possible effects of acidification on fish populations and zoobenthos of rivers and lakes in the northeastern Finnish Lapland. In: Tikkanen, E., Varmola, M. & Katermaa, T. (ed.): The state of the Environment and Environmental Monitoring in Northern Fennoscandia and the Kola Peninsula. - Arctic Centre Publications 4: 168-171.
Elo, K., Vuorinen, J. & Niemelä, E. 1994: Genetic resources of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in Teno and Näätämö Rivers, northernmost Europe. - Hereditas 120: 19-28.
Erkinaro, J. 1995: The age structure and distribution of Atlantic salmon parr (Salmo salar) in small tributaries and main stems of the subarctic River Teno, northern Finland. - Ecol. Freshw. Fish 4: 53-61.
Lappalainen, A., Mähönen, O., Erkinaro, J., Rask, M. & Niemelä, E. 1995: Acid deposition from the russian Kola peninsula: are sensitive fish populations in north-eastern Finnish Lapland affected? - Water, Air and Soil Pollution 85: 439-444.
Aalto, J., Julkunen, M., Erkinaro, J. & Niemelä, E. 1996: The status of juvenile brown trout (Salmo trutta L.) in different parts of the Luttojoki river system in northern Finland. - Pol. Arch. Hydrobiol. 43: 87-101.
Erkinaro, J., Dempson, J.B., Julkunen, M. & Niemelä, E. 1997: Importance of ontogenetic habitat shifts to juvenile output and life history of Atlantic salmon in a large subarctic river: an approach based on analysis of scale characteristics. - J. Fish Biol. 51: 1174-1185.
Pihlaja, O., Niemelä, E. & Erkinaro, J. 1998: Introduction and dispersal of the bullhead, Cottus gobio L., in a subarctic salmon river in northern Finland. - Fisheries Management and Ecology 5: 139-146
Erkinaro, H. & Erkinaro, J. 1998: Feeding of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., parr in the subarctic River Teno and three tributaries, northernmost Finland. - Ecol. Freshw. Fish 7: 13-24.
Lehtonen, H. & Niemelä, E. 1998. Growth and population structure of whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus (L.)) in mountain lakes of northern Finland - Arch. Hydrobiol. 50: 81-95.
Erkinaro, J., Niemelä, E., Saari, A., Shustov, Yu., & Jørgensen, L. 1998: Timing of habitat shift by Atlantic salmon parr from fluvial to lacustrine habitat: analysis of age distribution, growth and scale characteristics. - Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55: 2266-2273.
Erkinaro, J. Økland, F., Moen, K. & Niemelä, E. 1999: Return migration of Atlantic salmon in the River Tana: distribution and exploitation of radiotagged multi-sea-winter salmon. - Boreal Env. Res 4: 115-124.
Erkinaro, J. Økland, F., Moen, K., Niemelä, E. & Rahiala, M. 1999: Return migration of Atlantic salmon in the River Tana: the role of environmental factors. - J. Fish Biol. 55: 506-516.
Niemelä, E., Julkunen, M. & Erkinaro, J. 1999: Revealing trends in densities of juvenile Atlantic salmon by clusterizing long-term monitored sampling sites in a large subarctic river. - Fisheries Management and Ecology 6: 207-220.
Niemelä, E., Julkunen, M. & Erkinaro, J. 1999: Juvenile salmon (Salmo salar) densities in the subarctic River Teno, northern Finland. - Boreal Env. Res. 4: 125-136.
Niemelä, E., Mäkinen, T.S., Moen, K., Hassinen, E., Erkinaro, J., Länsman, M. & Julkunen, M. 2000: Age, sex ratio and timing of the catch of kelts and ascending Atlantic salmon in the subarctic River Teno. - J. Fish. Biol. 56: 974-985
Erkinaro, J., Karppinen, P., Mäkinen, T., Kaukoranta, M., Popov, N. and Lupandin, A. 2000: Restoring the Atlantic salmon stock of the River Tuloma - a pilot experiment using transplanted radio-tagged adult salmon. - Proceedings of The Third Conference on Fish Telemetry in Europe. 20.-25.6. 1999. Norwich, UK.
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
Invertebrate (benthos/drift/stomach contents of fish) samples
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Test fishing: electroshocking, gill nets etc.
Benthos samples: Surber sampler
Genetic material: electrophoresis, DNA analyses
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
County Governer of Finnmark, Norway
University of Tromso, Norway
Academy of Sciences, Russia