Monitoring of the water quality reflecting long-range transboundary air pollution including acidifying compounds, metals and POPs, and climatic change. Part of the sites are also including in biological monitoring. Monitoring sites are the most upland lakes and they are not under any significant human impact. Information is distributed to the UN Convention on Long-range Transboundary Air Pollution. Monitoring is managed by Finnish Environmental Institute (SYKE).
This is a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1990 -
- Data collection
- 1987 -
- Data processing
- not specified
- Data reporting
- 1997 -
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- Data is stored in the Finnish Environment Institute.
Data format: Tables
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- Stoddard, J.L., Jeffries, D.S., Lükewille, A., Clair, T., Dillon, P.J., Driscoll, C.T., Forsius, M., Johannessen, M., Kahl, J.S., Kellogg, J.H., Kemp, A., Mannio, J., Monteith, D., Murdoch, P., Patrick, S., Rebsdorf, A., Skjelkvåle, B.-L., Stainton, M.P., Traaen, T., van Dam, H., Webster, K., Wieting, J. & Wilander, A. 1999. Regional trends in aquatic recovery from acidification in North America and Europe 1980-95. Nature 401:575-578.
Mannio, J. 2000. Principles of monitoring the acidification of lakes. In: Heinonen, P., Ziglio, G., Van der
Beken, A. (eds.). Hydrological and limnological aspects of lake monitoring. Chichester, John Wiley & Sons
Ltd. p. 247 255. ISBN 0 471 89988 7.
Nyberg K., Vuorenmaa J., Rask M., Mannio J., Raitaniemi J. 2001. Patterns in water quality and fish status of some acidified lakes in southern Finland during a decade: Recovery proceeding. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 130: 1373-1378.
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
-water quality analysis from a water sample six times a year.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
Lapland Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment.
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
UN Convention on Long-range Transboundary Air Pollution (UNECE/CLTRAP).
- Other related projects
Monitoring of pollutants in fish and sediment
Project previously under name "Acidification Monitoring of Lakes in Lapland". Finnish NIP Implementation report (1994) comments: This previously initiated national project is of similar scope to that of AMAP and will therefore provide data suitable for assessment.